Bad Check Notice

The complainant that received the bad check or share draft (insufficient funds, closed account, stop payment, etc.) can have a disinterested third party or the Sheriff's Office serve the notice (PDF) to the author of the check. The Sheriff's Office will require advance fees (PDF) and directions (PDF). The author of the check has 10 days from date of service to make good on the check or criminal charges may be filed per Iowa Code 714.1.