- Finance & Budget
- FY24 Budget Planning
FY24 Budget Planning
Planning for Linn County’s fiscal year 2024 budget is underway. The budget will be developed between November 2022 through February 2023 during a series of more than 20 public meetings (PDF) between the Linn County Board of Supervisors, other Linn County elected officials, and department heads.
Each year, the budget is developed within Linn County’s budgetary and financial policies. Resources are allocated to align with the County's Strategic Plan and mission statement. The Board of Supervisors operates under the guideline of no increase in operational spending and strives to maintain a consistent levy rate to minimize any impact to the taxpayer.
- November 21, 2022: A public budget forum will take place at 5 p.m. at the Linn County Public Service Center. The budget forum gives residents the opportunity to address the Board of Supervisors and provide comment on the development of Linn County’s fiscal year 2024 budget.
- March 29, 2023: Linn County will hold a public hearing at 10 a.m. for the proposed total maximum property tax dollars for FY24 (PDF).
- TBD: Linn County will hold a public hearing for the proposed FY24 budget.
- July 1, 2023: Fiscal year 2024 begins July 1, 2023 and ends June 30, 2024.
Budget Review Meetings
View the FY24 budget review calendar (PDF) for the entire FY24 budget process. Dates and times on the review calendar are subject to change, so be sure to check the Agendas & Minutes section on Linn County’s website 24 hours in advance for the most up-to-date information or subscribe to receive the Linn County Board of Supervisors meeting agendas. All meetings are held at the Linn County Public Service Center, 935 Second Street SW in Cedar Rapids. Meetings are recorded and available for viewing in the Agenda Center within 24 hours after each meeting.
For questions about meeting accessibility or to request accommodations to attend or to participate in a meeting due to a disability, please contact the Board of Supervisors office by phone at 319-892-5000 or by emailing the Board of Supervisors.
Notice of Public Hearings FY24 Proposed Property Tax Levy and Budget
The Linn County Board of Supervisors will hold two public hearings on the fiscal year 2024 proposed budget. The first public hearing is for the proposed total maximum property tax dollars (PDF). The second public hearing is for the proposed FY24 budget. Both public hearings will be held at the Linn County Public Service Center, 935 Second St. SW in Cedar Rapids. At the public hearings, any resident or taxpayer may present objections to, or statements in favor of, the proposed tax levy and budget. The original dates set for for the public hearings have been canceled due to the property tax legislation signed into law by Governor Kim Reynolds on Feb. 20, 2023. New dates for the public hearings will be posted to this page when they are announced.
Major Classes of County Expenditures
- Public safety and legal services
- Physical health and social services
- Mental health
- County environment and education
- Roads and transportation
- Capital projects
- Government services to residents
- Debt service
Financial Excellence Awards
Linn County has successfully maintained its Aaa bond rating (the highest rating possible) and has received the following awards from the Government Finance Officers Association for for consistently meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting and reporting and being responsible stewards of public funds:
- Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting - 33 consecutive years
- Distinguished Budget Presentation Award - 27 consecutive years
- Outstanding Achievement in Popular Annual Financial Reporting - 23 consecutive years