General Assistance serves individuals and families in Linn County who are experiencing a financial crisis. Up to $450 of assistance can be provided for the following:
- Rent or Mortgage Interest
- Utility bills
- Burial Assistance (up to $1,000)
Applicants may also receive a one-month bus pass for the City of Cedar Rapids Transit, if approved for assistance in one of the areas listed above.
General Assistance can assist temporarily or provide ongoing assistance depending on the situation. Please refer to the FAQ section for more information.
Immediate Rent Assistance
If you are in need of immediate rental assistance due to an pending eviction, gap payment coverage is available to cover rent for up to two months IF your landlord agrees to stop the eviction. This provides time for you to apply for the full Emergency Rent Assistance Program when the application opens on August 16, 2021. To access this assistance, you MUST show up to your eviction hearing at the Linn County Courthouse and visit the Linn County Help Desk where individuals from Waypoint and Iowa Legal Aid will assist you.
If you have additional questions regarding the aid available contact Waypoint (319-365-1458 or 319-366-7999), for referral to the correct program. For those facing eviction with additional questions contact Iowa Legal Aid (1-800-532-1275 or the COVID-19 Legal Advice Hotline at 1-800-332-0419) for assistance.
These are the primary eligibility requirements. Please contact our office as there may be additional requirements based on your individual situation.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and a legal resident of Linn County
- Earn below 100 percent of the Federal Poverty Line
- $1,073 for a single adult
- $1,452 for a multiple person households
- Cannot be receiving Social Security (can be in the process of applying for assistance)
- Cannot have quit or have been terminated from a place of employment within the last 30 days, unless it is the result of a documented health issue
- Cannot be a student
If you feel you meet assistance eligibility guidelines, please fill out the online screening form.