Claim for Refund

If you Sold or Junked your Vehicle

If you sell a vehicle and DO NOT replace the vehicle within 30 days, you may apply for a refund. The following is required:

You have up to six months after you sell your vehicle to apply for a refund Claim for Refund form and submit to your County Treasurer.

The calculated unused portion of the registration fee must be $10 or more to receive a refund. The refund is calculated from the date the vehicle is disposed to the expiration of the registration.

The license plates must be turned in and the date of disposal disclosed at any county treasurer’s office through mail, in person or at our drop box located outside (except leased vehicles).

The County Treasurer will submit you refund request and the Iowa DOT will mail you a check for your refund within 2 to 4 weeks.


Returning a Leased Vehicle

If you turn in a leased vehicle, you may apply for a refund for the unused portion of the registration.

You will need to complete the Lease Termination section of the Notice of Sale of Vehicle and Delivery of Title which must be notarized, Claim for Refund form and your plates from the vehicle that was leased. 

Submit both the forms and plates to your county treasurer's office by mail, drop box or in person.


If you Moved Out-Of-State

You have up to six months to apply for a refund from the time you register your vehicle in the other state.

Your Iowa plates, a copy of the out-of-state registration, and Claim for Refund form must be submitted to the County Treasurer.