Veteran Affairs

What We Do

Linn County Veteran Affairs, part of Linn County government, provides responsive, timely, accurate, and compassionate assistance to veterans, their dependents, and survivors in applying for federal, state, and local benefits. In recognition of their service to our nation, we act as advocates who share an understanding of the veteran’s service and their needs. 

Linn County Veteran Affairs has accredited County Veteran Service Officers (CVSOs) who are professionals that receive the most current training on the scope, significance, and application of ever-changing federal, state, and local laws. Staff works with the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs and other local organizations in order to help veterans and their eligible family members receive the maximum benefits they have rightfully earned.

All services are provided free of charge.

Appointments are preferred to help ensure each veteran brings the appropriate paperwork and documentation needed for services, potentially saving an extra trip to our office.

Federal Service Programs

Our staff helps eligible veterans and their dependents apply for compensation and pension programs. Programs include, but are not limited to:

  • Compensation for Service-Connected Disability/Death
  • Non-service Connected Disability Pension
  • Death Pension for Surviving Spouse and Dependent Children
  • Aid and Attendance for Nursing Home and Housebound Individuals
  • Appeals of Unfavorable VA Rulings
  • Application for Iowa Veterans Home
  • Blue Water Veterans

County Service Programs

Linn County Veteran Affairs provides emergency assistance to veterans and their dependents. Assistance is provided for the following (see eligibility section below for more information to see if you qualify):

  • Rent
  • Mortgage
  • Utilities
  • Indigent burial
  • Grave markers


The veteran must have been discharged under honorable or general under honorable conditions and:

  • Must be a resident of Linn County for at least 30 days
  • Veteran must have received an Honorable Discharge or General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions. If the veteran has more than one military discharge, all Discharges must meet this requirement.
  • Veteran must have served 90 consecutive days of federal active duty for other than training purposes or have a VA recognized service-connected disability
  • Must have an emergent need that cannot be met by other means and is not due to their own financial misconduct
  • Applicant must provide proof of an unexpected expense that caused a financial hardship
  • Must meet the income guidelines established by the Iowa Veterans Trust Fund

Other Services

Staff also assists with:

  • Iowa Veterans Trust Fund
  • Veteran designation on Iowa Driver's License or State ID
  • Iowa Veterans Home application assistance
  • Requesting military discharge/records/medals
  • Flag holders for veterans buried in Linn County

Federal Benefits for Veterans

  • Compensation for service-connected disability
  • Non-service connected pension
  • Survivors pension for spouse and dependent children
  • Aid and Attendance for nursing home/housebound veterans and surviving spouses
  • VA healthcare application and referral
  • Death and memorial benefits

Community Outreach Events & Presentations

The Linn County Veteran Affairs Department is available for outreach events, presentations, and speaking engagements regarding federal, state, and county veteran benefits.

For information or to schedule a community outreach event, contact us at 319-892-5160.

Contact Veteran Affairs

If you have questions for Veteran Affairs, you may contact us in the following ways:

  1. News
  2. FAQs
  3. Calendar
  4. Quick Links
  1. Linn County Welcomes Dustin Peterson as New Veteran Affairs Director

    Peterson recently retired from the United States Marine Corps with the rank Master Gunnery Sergeant following 24 years of honorable service. Read on...
View All News