Claim for Refund
If you Sold or Junked Your Vehicle
If you sell a vehicle and DO NOT replace the vehicle within 30 days, you may apply for a refund. The following is required:
- You have up to six months after you sell your vehicle to apply for a refund Claim for Refund form and submit to your County Treasurer.
- The calculated unused portion of the registration fee must be $10 or more to receive a refund. The refund is calculated from the date the vehicle is disposed to the expiration of the registration.
- The license plates must be turned in and the date of disposal disclosed at any county treasurer’s office through mail or in person (except leased vehicles). You can mail or drop off your completed form with your license plates to our office at 935 2nd Street SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404 or use our drop box located outside our building.
- The County Treasurer will submit your refund request and the Iowa DOT will mail you a check for your refund within 2 to 4 weeks.
Returning a Leased Vehicle
If you turn in a leased vehicle, you may apply for a refund for the unused portion of the registration.
- Complete the Lease Termination section of the Notice of Sale of Vehicle and Delivery of Title which must be notarized and complete the Claim for Refund form.
- Return both forms along with your plates from the vehicle that was leased to your county treasurer's office by mail or in person. You can mail or drop off your completed form with your license plates to our office at 935 2nd Street SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
If You Moved Out of State
- You have up to six months to apply for a refund from the time you register your vehicle in the other state.
- You must submit your Iowa plates, a copy of the out-of-state registration, and Claim for Refund form to the County Treasurer.