FY23 Budget

Linn County's fiscal year 2023 (FY23) budget was developed through more than 20 public meetings between the Linn County Board of Supervisors, other Linn County elected officials, and department heads from November 2021 through March 2022. 

The FY23 budget continues Linn County’s funding priorities of public health and safety, physical and mental health, roads and transportation, the environment, and necessary capital improvements. The budget includes funding for priorities identified by the Board of Supervisors that will have a positive impact on the County’s ability to serve residents. This includes funding for the maintenance of the outdoor warning siren system now under ownership of the Linn County Emergency Management Agency (previously under the ownership of Duane Arnold Energy Center/NextEra).

Approximately 16 percent of property taxes paid by Linn County property owners in incorporated areas is used to fund County services. The remaining 84 percent of property taxes goes to the property taxpayer’s city of residence, school district and other taxing bodies in the county. Linn County taxes represent slightly more than one-third of property taxes for rural residents.

Fiscal Year 2023 Budget

Previous Budgets

Budget in Brief

Fiscal Year 2023 Budget Summary

  • Expenditure budget of $154.8 million – an increase of 18.4 percent from last year due in part to the receipt of $22 million in federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding
  • A decrease in the countywide levy rate to $5.85 per $1,000 of taxable value in FY23 (the decrease is due to the passage of Senate File 619 that moved Mental Health & Disability Services (MHDS) funding from property tax to State appropriation)
  • No increase in the rural levy rate of $2.71; rural levy rate includes a reduction of one dollar for rural residents from the Local Option Sales Tax allocation as voted on by rural residents
  • Impact to homeowner: A decrease of up to 10 percent in county property taxes due to a decrease in taxable value as a result of a change in state residential rollback
  • A decrease of 6.3 percent in commercial and industrial property taxes due to the passage of Senate File 619 that moved Mental Health & Disability Services (MHDS) funding from property tax to State appropriation)
  • Farmland taxes will increase approximately 1.3 percent due to a change in state agricultural rollback
  • Property taxes levied: $75.5 million, a decrease of 2.9 percent from FY22
  • Property taxes account for 49 percent of Linn County’s FY23 budget (this is a decrease from previous years due in part to the receipt of $22 million in federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding)
  • Local Option Sales Tax revenue of $3.6 million is estimated for road construction; $1.7 million for Conservation projects; and $1.5 million in property tax relief for rural residents
  • Achieves goal of general fund ending balance of 25 percent. This is important in maintaining Linn County's Aaa bond rating with Moody's Investors Service. The Aaa bond rating allows Linn County to issue debt at the lowest possible cost to taxpayers. The 25 percent fund balance also provides the County with flexibility needed to address unforeseen events, such as the destructive flooding that devastated Cedar Rapids and the surrounding area in 2008, the 2020 derecho, and COVID-19. The ability to finance the immediate disaster-related costs until short-term debt proceeds are received is critical to the County's recovery efforts. 
  • Linn County’s fiscal year runs July 1 through June 30.

Financial Excellence

Linn County has successfully maintained its Aaa bond rating (the highest rating possible) and has received the following awards from the Government Finance Officers Association for consistently exercising sound financial management and reporting:

  • Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting - 31 consecutive years
  • Distinguished Budget Presentation Award - 26 consecutive years
  • Outstanding Achievement in Popular Annual Financial Reporting - 22 consecutive years