Animal Bite Reporting

Reporting Potential Animal to Human Exposure

It is the legal responsibility of physicians, healthcare practitioners, and veterinarians to report any known animal bites or skin abrasions caused by companion or wild animals to the respective animal control center serving Linn County (Linn County Code of Ordinances Chapter 6. Article II - ANIMAL CONTROL).


Step 1: Completing the Applicable Form

Physicians, healthcare practitioners, and veterinarians should complete the following form (Dated 1/28/2018) 

Step 2: Submitting the Form

Forms are not submitted to Linn County Public Health. Please see the information below to find the proper place to submit your form.

If the owner resides in Cedar Rapids, submit the form to:

If the owner resides elsewhere in Linn County, submit the form to:

If the owner resides in another county in Iowa visit the Iowa Department of Public Health website for statewide points of contact. 

If the owner is not known (including wild or feral), use the address of bite/bat exposure.


It is the legal responsibility for "Every veterinarian shall report to the Health Officer the name and address of the owner of any animals treated for bites inflicted by another animal." Linn County Public Health has prepared the Animal-on-Animal Bite Report Form (PDF) that should be submitted to the Animal Control Agency.


On January 23, 2018, the Linn County Animal Bite/Bat Exposure Record was updated and a reporting flowchart was created to be used in conjunction with the form. Letters were sent to healthcare providers and veterinarians in Linn County on April 26, 2018.