National Change of Address Postcards

Getting election mail for someone that no longer resides at your address?

Every year, address changes made at the U.S. Post Office are compared to the voter registration records. This is required by the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, which is better known as "Motor Voter," and is referred to commonly as the National Change of Address (NCOA) program.

What happens?

If you reported a change of address to the U.S. Postal service in the last year, and the voter registration address on file does not match this address, our office is required by law to update your voting address and send you an NCOA postcard.

NCOA postcards, which are postage-paid, are sent to your new address. This allows you to make any corrections and return the card to our office. If these cards are returned to our office as undeliverable, our office will begin the cancellation process.

What do I need to do with this NCOA postcard?

If the new address is correct, please sign and return the prepaid NCOA postcard to our office. You will get a new voter acknowledgement card from our office with your address change in a few weeks.

If the new address is incorrect, but still within Linn County, please write your new address on the postcard, sign and return the prepaid NCOA postcard. Our office will update your voter record and send you a new voter acknowledgement card.

If you moved outside of Linn County, please write down your correct address, sign and return the prepaid NCOA postcard and our office will remove you from our county voter rolls. IMPORTANT NOTE: This change will not register you to vote in a county outside of Linn County. You will still new to re-register with your new address.

Below are helpful links for registering to vote outside of Linn County:

What do I do if I get a card for someone that doesn't live at my address?

If you get a card at your home, for someone who does not live there, don't throw it away! Check the box that applies, sign it . Our office cannot make any changes unless you SIGN the NCOA card! Make any notes if needed, and return it to our office.

What are common problems with the NCOA Process?

An address change by one family member may have been reported by the US Post office as a change for the whole family.

"Snow birds" who maintain a winter address outside of Iowa to the Post Office as a long term address change many times will receive NCOA postcards.

College students that have a campus address and reported it to the Post Office as a long term address change many times will receive NCOA postcards.

If an NCOA card is returned without a signature, our office will be unable to process any changes.

Two people may have the same name and address (John Doe Sr., John Doe, Jr.)