Natural Resource & Land Management
Natural Resources & Land Management staff work to protect, preserve and enhance the natural resources of Linn County through conservation practices.
- Restore native ecosystems to improve wildlife habitat, natural resource functions and diversity
- Prairie management to include establishment, removal of woody species and prescribed burning
- Manage areas identified within the 1,000 Acre Pollinator Initiative (VIDEO)
- Conduct invasive species control
- Manage timber resources, develop management plans, conduct timber stand improvement, crop tree release, and savanna restoration
- Conduct tree and shrub plantings for habitat, reforestation, and park beautification
- Manage and plant food plots for wildlife
- Maintain and implement a hazard tree program to ensure public safety
- Maintain crop leases for the conservation department as part of wildlife habitat program
- Manage and restore wetlands for wildlife habitat, water quality, and flood control
- Conduct landscaping of newly developed properties including trails and park improvement sites
Morgan Creek Park, Wanatee Park, and Wickiup Hill Learning Center outdoor areas have mostly reopened following the August 2020 derecho. However, some select trails and park sections may be closed for safety reasons, ongoing debris removal, and/or reconstruction. Please observe signage and gate closures where applicable. Several other natural areas and trails may also have areas of debris but are available for public use.
Derecho Forestry Management
Derecho: One Year Later
The August 10, 2020 derecho severely damaged our public parks that we have enjoyed over the years. Linn County Conservation continues to take steps to restore and replenish our woodlands.
Many prairie species, like wildflowers, benefit from the cold and moist conditions to germinate when the soil temperature rises in the spring. Linn County Conservation continues its efforts to provide diverse prairies for pollinators within the County.
Request for Proposals (RFP)
General Information: Request for Proposal Tree Removal (PDF)
General Information: Request for Proposal - Tree/Vegetation Removal (PDF)