View All Posts

Sep 29

All About the Recorder's Office Top Five Services

Posted on September 29, 2023 at 3:17 PM by Britt Nielsen

Recorders Office Sign

The Recorder’s Office offers many vital services to the residents of Linn County. Here are the things to know about their top five services: 

Passports and Photos 

The Recorder’s Office offers passport and passport photo services for residents and is the only place in Linn County to receive these services without an appointment. The following items are required when applying for a passport: 

  • One color passport photo - a photo can be taken at the Recorder’s Office for a $15 fee
  • A certified copy of your birth record (hospital certificates are not accepted).
  • A photo ID 
  • Completed passport application (do not sign)
  • Check or money order

More information about passport services can be found on the Linn County website.


Marriage License Applications 

To apply for an Iowa marriage license, both parties and a witness (someone 18 years old or older and knows both parties) must complete and sign an application in the presence of a notary and pay a $35 application fee. Once the application is signed, there is a three-day waiting period before the marriage can take place. The three-day waiting period begins the day after the application is processed. 

However, a three-day waiting period waiver is available through the Clerk of Court. The Clerk of Court is in the Linn County Courthouse and is a division of the State of Iowa. The waiver application needs to be approved by a judge prior to completing a marriage application. The approved waiver application must be presented at the Recorder’s Office with the marriage application. 

After the couple is married, the signed certificate of marriage needs to be returned to the Recorder’s Office. Staff will then issue a certified copy of the certificate to the couple. The certified copy may be used to change driver’s licenses, insurance, and social security information.

Staff will return the original certificate of marriage and additional instructional information for filing the paperwork by mail. If you are submitting the certificate of marriage in person, you will typically receive the certified copy the same day.

More information and the application documents are available on the Linn County website.


Recording Real Estate

One of the main services provided by the Recorder’s Office is the recording of real estate records in Linn County. Real estate records include almost anything pertaining to the land itself such as deeds, mortgages, and releases. They also include items such as new subdivisions and easements.

All recorded real estate records for Linn County and the State of Iowa can be found on the Linn County website


DNR Transfers and Renewals 

The Recorder’s Office provides multiple DNR-related services including title transfers and registration renewals for boats, snowmobiles, and off-road vehicles. These services require specific documents for completion including, but not limited to, a bill of sale, a signed registration, and a signed title. The full list of requirements and applicable fees are available on the Linn County website


Military Records 

The Recorder’s Office permanent records of military discharges that have been presented for recording by the veterans themselves or the U.S. government agency. These records are not automatically created. Veterans are encouraged to submit their DD214 for recording to allow for easy copying in the future. There is no charge to submit a military record or to request a certified copy of a military record. 

Learn more about military records on the Linn County website.


The Linn County Recorder’s Office is open Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays.