Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
LINN COUNTY, IA – Linn County Public Health (LCPH) is making changes to COVID-19 vaccine allocation and distribution strategies for county vaccine, effective March 14, 2021. These changes are due to the announcement on March 4 by the Iowa Department of Public Health which expands eligibility criteria for COVID-19 vaccine to individuals 16-64 with underlying health conditions beginning March 8. Under this expanded eligibility criteria, most Iowans will be eligible for vaccine, therefore LCPH has made significant changes in vaccine allocation and distribution plans.
Beginning March 14, vaccine allocated to Linn County providers through LCPH will include individuals 16-64 with underlying conditions. Of the county allocated vaccine, 80% will be assigned to adults 65 and older, individuals with disabilities and their caretakers, and individuals age 16 to 64 with underlying conditions. The remaining 20% of vaccine will be assigned to Phase 1A and Phase 1B Tier 1-5 populations, in priority order. The allocation strategy for vaccine will remain in place as supply increases. The weekly allocation of COVID-19 vaccine to LCPH is anticipated to remain stable with 3,540 doses per week through March. Vaccine is also available to local providers in Linn County through state and federal sources.
Vaccine continues to be in short supply. Not everyone who is eligible for a vaccine will be able to schedule an appointment at this time. LCPH is working with all Linn County providers to ensure vaccine will eventually be available to everyone who wants it.
Adults 65 and older, individuals with disabilities and their caretakers, and individuals age 16 to 64 with underlying conditions
Vaccine allocated to local vaccine providers from LCPH will be reserved for adults 65 and older and individuals with disabilities and their caretakers until March 14. Individuals with disabilities and their caretakers are eligible in Tier 2 of Phase 1B. Vaccine allocation and distribution is typically finalized a week or more in advance, as shipment details and appointment scheduling is done the week before vaccine arrival. LCPH was not aware of the expanded eligibility changes until they were announced, and vaccine planning for the next week was already completed. Beginning March 14, vaccine providers with county allocated vaccine may begin to offer vaccine to individuals 16 to 64 with underlying conditions.
Local healthcare providers will determine their own process for offering available vaccine to their patients. It is anticipated the majority of patient populations will now be eligible for vaccine under the new criteria. Healthcare providers know their patient populations best, and are the most appropriate entity to prioritize available vaccine within their patient population.
Local pharmacies participating in the Retail Pharmacy Program may offer vaccine to all eligible individuals beginning March 8. These appointments will be on a first come, first serve basis to all eligible populations. Retail Pharmacy programs receive vaccine from the federal government. In Linn County, select Hy-Vee locations and Clark’s Pharmacy are participating pharmacies. Hy-Vee also receives state allocated vaccine. Vaccine administered by these providers are directed by state and federal authorities, and not at the county level. Vaccine supply to these participating pharmacies is increasing, with 27,830 doses per week to the state announced on March 1.
Tiers 1 through 5
Due to expanded eligibility criteria, most Iowans will now be able to obtain vaccinations without being linked to an employer. Effective March 14, all Phase 1B Tier populations are eligible for county allocated vaccine. LCPH will open up eligibility to all tiers, as it will no longer be possible to track the number of people in each tier who still need vaccine given the likelihood of previously being vaccinated due to meeting the expanded eligibility criteria.
LCPH has deactivated the Linn County COVID-19 Vaccine Business registry. All businesses that previously completed the business registry will be matched with a vaccine provider. Vaccine will be offered to business registrants by local occupational health providers in order of the Phase 1B Tiers. Businesses that had not previously completed the business registry or have staff that are eligible for vaccine that have not been vaccinated may contact their occupational health provider to request a vaccine appointment.
LCPH will continue to reserve a proportion of vaccine to offer to vulnerable populations, such as individuals without access to care, those with barriers accessing or using technology, and multilingual populations.
For additional information