March 12, 2021
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
COVID-19 vaccines are effective at protecting you from getting sick. Based on what we know about COVID-19 vaccines, people who have been fully vaccinated can start to do some things they had stopped doing because of the pandemic. The CDC has updated guidance for fully vaccinated individuals.
We encourage individuals eligible for COVID-19 vaccine to be vaccinated with any of the three FDA approved vaccines they are offered. All approved vaccines are safe and effective against becoming ill with COVID-19.
Vaccine remains in short supply, and not everyone in Phase 1B will be able to get vaccine right away. It may take weeks to months for the Phase 1B populations to receive vaccine.
Of vaccine allocated to Linn County through Linn County Public Health, 80% will be assigned to adults 65 and older, individuals with disabilities and their caretakers, and individuals age 16 to 64 with underlying conditions. The remaining 20% of vaccine will be assigned to Phase 1A and Phase 1B Tier 1-5 populations, in priority order. This allocation strategy for vaccine will remain in place as supply increases.
Persons 65 years and older
Individuals 16 to 64 with medical conditions
Vaccine Distribution Highlights
- Current Phase: Phase 1B
- Projected time to next phase: Approximately April 2021
- Priority groups included within Phase 1B:
- Individuals 65 and older and individuals age 16 to 64 with medical conditions
- Prioritized frontline workers and specific populations vulnerable to high risk of exposure or severity of illness
- Progress within Phase 1B:
- Beginning January 26, Linn County began offering vaccine to persons 65 years of age and older. There are 36,000 people 65 and older in Linn County.
- Phase 1B Tier populations began receiving vaccine on February 1.
- On March 8, individuals age 16 to 64 with medical conditions became eligible for vaccine.
- Groups to be offered vaccine next:
- A report of COVID-19 Vaccine Administration Dashboard by county is posted at https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/
- As of March 12, 2021
- 26.5% of eligible Linn County residents have either started or completed the vaccine series
- 15% of eligible Linn County residents have completed the vaccine series (including one-dose)
- Eligible Linn County residents are all residents 16 years of age and older, which is 180,375 people
For questions about COVID-19 vaccine in Linn County:
- Visit LinnCounty.org/Vaccine or call 319-892-6097.
- Call 211 for help from a vaccine navigator with scheduling an appointment for vaccine and transportation needs. Additionally, older Iowans may call their local Area Agency on Aging at 1-866-468-7887.
Please sign up to receive email notifications for COVID-19 Status Updates to keep up-to-date on vaccine rollout updates and other important information regarding COVID-19 response. For assistance with signing up for updates, view this video. In addition to the Linn County COVID-19 vaccine website LinnCounty.org/Vaccine, updates will also be shared on Facebook and Twitter. For questions on COVID-19 vaccine in Linn County, call 319-892-6097. Stay tuned to local news outlets for updated information.
Today, the Iowa Department of Public Health announced Updated Visitation Nursing Home Visitation Guidance. An updated guidance document from the Iowa Department of Public Health and the Department of Inspections and Appeals is forthcoming.
Linn County Case Count Data
- Active cases: 1,042
- Total cases to date: 19,586
- Currently hospitalized: 16
- Total deaths: 330
- Total recovered: 18,214
Note: The State of Iowa has transitioned from reporting positive individuals to positive tests. Linn County will continue to report positive individuals. Therefore, numbers from the state and Linn County dashboard will not match.
Additional data on COVID-19 cases is available on Linn County’s case count dashboard.
Linn County Metrics
- Test Positivity Rate*: 17.5%
- *Percent of positive tests to date since beginning of pandemic
- 7-Day Test Positivity Rate: 2.2%
- 14-Day Test Positivity Rate: 3.0%
- Current Recommendation for Actions to Combat Increase in COVID-19: Tier 3, effective February 19, 2021.
Additional Linn County metrics are available on Linn County’s metrics dashboard.
For more COVID-19 information specific to Linn County, visit LinnCounty.org/COVID19.