In 2020, the Linn County Board of Supervisors approved an ordinance allowing the use of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and off-road vehicles on certain county roads in unincorporated Linn County. The approval followed multiple public input sessions.
With the arrival of spring and warmer weather, Linn County is reminding the public of some of the main provisions within the ordinance, including:
- Operators of ATVs or off-road utility vehicles must have a valid driver’s license and be at least 16 years of age.
- An operator 18 years of age and under is required to take and pass an Iowa Department of Natural Resources approved ATV education course and must carry a valid safety certificate while operating the vehicle.
- Operators and passengers 18 years of age and under must wear an ATV safety helmet.
- Operators of ATVs or off-road utility vehicles cannot travel at a rate of speed greater than thirty-five (35) miles per hour.
- ATV or off-road utility vehicle operation may begin at sunrise and must cease at sunset.
Read the full ordinance with the complete list of the operation requirements.
View a map of restricted roadways in Linn County.
For information on how to register an ATV in Linn County, visit the Linn County Recorder’s Office website.