June 25-July 2, 2021
The Week in Review is a weekly digital newsletter from Linn County, Iowa.
We Want Your Opinion!
Linn County is in the early stages of a website redesign and we invite you to be part of the process through a short online survey. Understanding how residents and businesses use the website, any challenges you face, and knowing what is working well will help guide decisions for the redesign. Actively seeking resident input on the website redesign is part of Linn County’s ongoing effort to increase customer satisfaction.
Linn County’s last website redesign was in 2018-19. In September 2019, Linn County won the first place Savvy Award from the City-County Communications and Marketing Association (3CMA) in Overall Website in the 85,000 and up population category for its 2019 website redesign.
Take the survey today!
Visit Linn County’s website at www.LinnCounty.org.
Utility-Scale Solar Projects in Linn County
Utility-scale solar continues to be an important topic in Linn County. Any developer of a proposed utility-scale solar project in Linn County is required to submit an application to Linn County’s Planning & Development Department. Once a complete application is submitted, the review process begins, which includes a series of public meetings specific to the development proposed in the application. It is during this review process that the specifics of each project and its impact will be reviewed against development standards for utility-scale solar contained in Linn County’s ordinance. Linn County has not yet received an application for a utility-scale solar development.
Linn County recently held two public informational meetings to explain Linn County’s role in the solar review and permitting process, the standards that any proposed development must meet, and to answer questions from the public. These meetings were not specific to any particular solar development. Video from these meetings is available on Linn County’s YouTube channel.
The best way to stay informed about this process is to subscribe to Linn County’s Front Page News on the Linn County website and follow us on Facebook or Twitter. All applications for utility-scale solar projects submitted to Linn County will be posted on Linn County’s website and announced through our news flash subscriptions and on social media.
For detailed information about the application review process and to read the ordinance that governs utility-scale solar projects in Linn County, visit LinnCounty.org/SolarFarm.
Travel Size Toiletries Needed for Access Center
The Linn County Mental Health Access Center is in need of the following travel size toiletries:
- Body wash (men’s and women’s)
- Body lotion
- Hair brushes
- Hair picks
- Hair products for all hair types
To donate, please contact the MHAC Director at [email protected].
Board of Supervisors Meeting Recap
The following is a recap from the Linn County Board of Supervisors meetings the week of June 25-July 2, 2021. The Board of Supervisors:
- Discussed a moratorium on all utility-scale solar projects; a motion to impose a moratorium for up to 18 months did not pass
- Watch the June 29 meeting including public comment and Board of Supervisors discussion
- Watch the June 30 meeting including public comment and Board of Supervisors discussion and vote
- It is important to note that Linn County has not received an application for a utility-scale solar development. Any application received will be reviewed thoroughly in accordance with Linn County’s ordinance and review process. It is during this review process that the specifics of each project and its impact will be reviewed against Linn County’s ordinance.
- Held third and final consideration of Ordinance Amendment, rezoning case JR21-0006, request of STACO Corporation, owner & Lindsay K. McGrath-Vasquez, petitioner, to rezone 37.84 acres located in the 500 Block of Dows Road from the AG (Agricultural) zoning district to the RR2 (Rural Residential 2-Acre) zoning district
- Approved allocation of Linn County Attorney Fiscal Year 2021 budget surplus to purchase technology upgrades for the office that will help the office go paperless
- Approved terminating ASAC sobering services at the Mental Health Access Center, effective 60 days from date of signature, noting the services have not yet begun
- Approved a contract between Area Ambulance Service and Linn County for sobering services at the Mental Health Access Center effective September 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022
- Signed Letter of Agreement with Amerigroup for Digital Solutions Kiosk Program at Mental Health Access Center
- Approved a resolution amending the Application Fee Schedule for Linn County Planning and Development specifically concerning Renewable Energy Overlay District Rezoning fees
- Approved a vacancy form requesting a Senior Accountant for the Finance & Budget Department
- Approved a resolution to transfer $5,000 from the Board Buildings appropriations, to the Facilities appropriations
- Authorized Chair to sign a contract with Anderson Bogert for land surveying services related to the Secondary Roads Department District 1 shop relocation project
- Authorized Chair to sign a Certificate of Self-Insurance for the following programs:
- Early Care and Education Supportive Services to increase access to extended day and year high-quality Wraparound Care for 3-5 year olds
- Nurturing Parent Program-Long Term, to provide long-term home visitation family support services to Linn County families
- Nurturing Parent Program-Short Term, to provide short-term home visitation family support services
- Approved appropriation of Fiscal Year 2022 budget
- Approved resolution to award contract for project LOST-RCB 337(21), a reinforced concrete box (RCB) culvert on Andre Road, to Peterson Contractors, Inc. in the amount of $158,605.70
- Approved resolution to award contract for project LOST-CMP 996(21), a corrugated metal pipe (CMP) culvert on Bice Blvd, to Peterson Contractors, Inc. in the amount of $69,824.75
- Approved resolution to award contract for project LOST-CMP 2072(21), a corrugated metal pipe (CMP) culvert on Burlingham Road, to Peterson Contractors, Inc. in the amount of $109,685.10
- Approved resolution to award contract for project LOST-RCP 273(21), a reinforced concrete pipe (RCP) culvert on C Street Road SW, to Peterson Contractors, Inc. in the amount of $111,391.85
- Approved resolution to place a temporary 20 ton weight limit and one lane width restriction on Linn County Bridge Number 2190, FHWA Structure Number 221181, located over Morgan Creek on Sisley Grove Road SW
- Approved resolution to for Residential Parcel Split for LeClere Addition, case JPS20-0011
- Approved resolution for final plat for FBH First Addition, case JF21-0007
- Approved Public Bidder Tax Sale Certificate Abatement Agreement for a property located at 4477 Usher’s Ferry Rd NE, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Approved a 28E Agreement with the City of Palo for rock shouldering on portions of Covington Road from Yates Road to Blairs Ferry Road and Blairs Ferry Road from Palo Marsh Road to the first set of railroad tracks
- Approved the 2021 Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Program Award, Governing Body Review between Linn County and the City of Cedar Rapids for equal division of the $49,202 grant award
- Approved provider agreements between Linn County and Abbe Center for Community Mental Health, Foundation2, ASAC, and Penn Center for the period of July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022 for services at the Mental Health Access Center
- Approved the contract extension between Linn County Community Services and Ilmir, Inc. for the period of July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022 for software consulting services
- Approved Linn County Fiscal Year 2022 Provider and Program Participation Amendment for Substance Abuse Commitments between Linn County and Mercy Medical Center, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Approved Fiscal Year 2022 Linn County Purchase of Service Agreement for Substance Abuse Treatment beds between Linn County and The Area Substance Abuse Council
- Approved Fiscal Year 2022 provider agreements between Linn County Children’s Mental Health Assistance Program and the following organizations:
- Families, Inc
- Murray, Wilson & Rose Counseling
- PRK Williams, Inc dba To the Rescue
- Alli Center, LLC
- The Arc of East Central Iowa
- Abbe Center for Community Mental Health
- Four Oaks Family and Children Services
- Life Connection
- Alicia Gerber LMHC, LLC dba Guiding Light Christian Counseling Center
- Tanager Place
- Mount Vernon Family Counseling
- Heart & Solutions LLC
- Maria Isabel Ramos LMFT, LLC
- Melissa Wehr, Therapist
NOTE: Board of Supervisors Meeting Recaps briefly summarize and highlight topics from the Board’s meeting agendas. This recap is provided by County staff as a public service and is not an official record of Board action. The official record of approved minutes from Board of Supervisors meetings are approved at future meetings and are available for viewing after approval.
Board agendas, minutes, and meeting videos are available on the Agendas and Minutes webpage.
Subscribe to receive agenda notifications.