May 21-27, 2022
The Week in Review is a weekly digital newsletter from Linn County, Iowa.
Reminder: Linn County Offices Closing May 30 for Memorial Day
Most Linn County governmental offices will be closed on Monday, May 30 in observance of Memorial Day. The following services will continue to operate: Juvenile Detention and Diversion Services, Mental Health Access Center, routine and emergency responses by the Sheriff’s Office. Vehicle registrations can be renewed online at any time at iowataxandtags.gov.
Mowing Roadside Vegetation Prohibited Until July 15 to Protect Roadside Habitats
The Linn County Secondary Road Department and the Linn County Conservation Department remind county residents that state law prohibits mowing roadside vegetation in the rights-of-way or medians
on any primary highway, interstate highway, or secondary road prior to July 15.
This law is designed to protect roadside habitats for nesting game birds, song birds, and other ground-nesting birds in the spring and early summer until they are ready to fledge. The law also protects habitat for pollinators and other beneficial insects, including crop-pest predators.
Exceptions for visibility and weed control are built into the law, but non-essential mowing—including cutting for hay—is prohibited.
What is a Primary Election, Anyway?
Have you ever wondered what, exactly, is a primary election? If so, you are not alone.
Check out our latest Linn County Connection blog post to learn about what a primary election is and details about the upcoming Primary Election on June 7.
Additional election-related information can be found at LinnCountyIowa.gov/Vote.
Board of Supervisors Meeting Recap
The following is a recap from the Linn County Board of Supervisors meetings the week of May 21-27, 2022. The Board of Supervisors:
- Met with and received updates from the following departments: Conservation and Community Services
- Discussed and approved a Resolution to establish road closure and detour Linn County project L-BRIDGE 1920(22) on Hollenbeck Road
- Approved a Liquor License for Sutliff Cider, 382 Sutliff Road, Lisbon, retroactive to May 17, 2022, noting all conditions have been met.
- Approved a Liquor License for Bass Farms, 840 Bass Ln., Mt Vernon, IA, retroactive to May 19, 2022, noting all conditions have been met.
- Discussed and decided on a Resolution Approving the Contract and Performance and/or Payment Bonds for the Priority #3 Linn County Facilities Derecho Repairs Project
- Approved the following resolutions:
- Granting permission for the use of roads in Linn County for the Pigman Triathlon on Sunday, June 5, 2022, noting Risk Management, Secondary Roads and the Linn County Sheriff’s Office have addressed all requirements.
- Approving a residential parcel split for Brannaman Acres First Addition, case JPS22-0001
- Authorized Chair to sign a software Enterprise Agreement renewal between Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. (ESRI) and Linn County to extend the GIS software licensing through July 9, 2025 in the amount of $483,000
- Authorized Chair to sign a Tender Agreement to officially transfer projects STBG-SWAP-C057(142)- -FG-57 and STBG-SWAP-C057(138)- - FG-57 from Horsfield Construction, Inc. to Dyersville Ready Mix & Subsidiary.
- Authorized Chair to sign a final contract amendment #3 5882HC08, between Linn County Community Services – Ryan White Program and Iowa Department of Public Health for the period of April 1,2021 to March 31st, 2022. Funds are being moved within contract between line items.
- Authorized Chair to sign a Provider Contract – Rate Sheet between Linn County Community Services- Options and the MHDS -East Central Region for the period of July 1,2022 to June 30th, 2023.
- Authorized Chair to sign a FY23 Decat Contract # DCAT4-22-016 Protective Program Contract, 1st Amendment and Renewal, in the amount of $44,935 between the Linn County Board of Supervisors and the Department of Human Services.
- Authorized Chair to sign FY23 Decat Contract # DCAT4-22-027 Regional PSSF Wraparound for DHS Cedar Rapids Service Area Contract, 1st Amendment and Renewal, in the amount of $28,854 between the Linn County Board of Supervisors and the Department of Human Services
- Authorized Chair to sign a 28E Agreement between Linn County and the City of Ely for a rock overlay project on Rogers Creek Road from Rogers Grove Road to the bridge near the eastern city limits
- Approved purchase order PO301 for signposts to Barco Municipal Products Inc. in the amount of $12,883.75 for the Secondary Road Department
- Approved purchase order PO302 for a tandem axle truck to Thompson Truck & Trailer Inc. in the amount of $141,225.00 for the Secondary Road Department
Board of Supervisors Meeting Recap briefly summarizes topics from the Board’s meeting agendas. This recap is provided by County staff as a public service and is not an official record of Board action. The official record of approved minutes from Board of Supervisors meetings are approved at future meetings and are available for viewing after approval.
Board agendas, minutes, and meeting videos are available on the Agendas and Minutes webpage
Subscribe to receive agenda notifications