May 31-June 3, 2022
The Week in Review is a weekly digital newsletter from Linn County, Iowa.
Morgan Creek Park Expansion Now Open
The newly expanded and redeveloped Morgan Creek Park is now open! The Linn County Conservation Board held a ribbon cutting today, June 3, to celebrate this long-awaited project that modernizes park amenities, improves accessibility, and provides natural resource enhancements that benefit water quality, habitat for wildlife, and further engagement of environmental stewardship for the region. The new entrance for Morgan Creek Park is located at 7212 E Ave NW, Cedar Rapids. Visit Morgan Creek Park today!
June is National Safety Month
Did you know that falls are the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related deaths? Did you know mental distress, stress, and fatigue are forms of impairment? Linn County joins the National Safety Council in celebrating National Safety Month this June and encourages everyone to prioritize safety both inside and outside the workplace. Learn how to help prevent some of the leading causes of injuries by creating a safety culture at work and at home by visiting the National Safety Council website.
Bear Creek Road Reconstruction and Paving Project to Begin June 6
A reconstruction and concrete paving project is scheduled to start Monday, June 6 on Bear Creek Road. The project is expected to last three months. Bear Creek Road will be closed to all traffic from the Linn-Benton line to Hollenbeck Road, then south to the Hollenbeck Bridge. A detour will be posted for this project. Drivers are reminded to comply with all traffic signs around construction projects. Do not drive around the barricades in place to protect the public and road crews. Receive text or email updates on this and other Linn County Secondary Road construction projects by visiting LinnCountyIowa.gov/NotifyMe.
Board of Supervisors Meeting Recap
The following is a recap from the Linn County Board of Supervisors meetings the week of May 31-June 3, 2022. The Board of Supervisors:
- Approved a vacancy form requesting a Code Compliance Officer for the Planning & Development Department
- Approved three vacancy forms requesting Youth Counselors for Juvenile Detention & Diversion Services
- Held a closed session to discuss pending litigation pursuant to Code of Iowa 21.5(1)(c)
- Approved a resolution establishing a 45-mph speed limit on E Ave NW from a point immediately east of Berger Lane to Cedar Rapids city limits in sections 21/28-83-8
- Approved a resolution authorizing the transfer of $50,000 from the Board of Supervisors appropriations to the Medical Examiner appropriations
- Approved a resolution for residential parcel split for Etzwel Farm First Addition
- Approved a resolution for a residential parcel split for Hoge’s First Addition
- Approved annual elevator maintenance invoice with Schumacher Elevator Company effective July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023, in the amount of $45,243.06
- Authorized Chair to sign Law Enforcement Services contracts for law enforcement protection provided by the Linn County Sheriff’s Office at a rate of $39 per hour for the period of July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023 for the cities as follows:
- Alburnett: 43 hours/month
- Bertram: 6 hours/week
- Center Point: 21 hours/week
- Central City: 21 hours/week
- Coggon: 40 hours/month
- Ely: 25 hours/week
- Fairfax: 18 hours/week
- Palo: 87 hours/month
- Prairieburg: 9 hours/month
- Springville: 80 hours/month
- Walford: 20 hours/week
- Walker: 14 hours/week
- Authorized Chair to sign change order number one, revised for the Wanatee Park Maintenance Building Office Addition Project increasing the contract sum by $5,017 to $140,617
- Approved purchase order to Rolascreen for six rolling screen panels at the Mental Health Access Center in the amount of $14,022.30
- Approved a cigarette permit for Casey’s Store #2789 located at 888 Vernon Valley Dr. SE, noting all conditions have been met
- Approved an application for display fireworks permit for Jared Morris to conduct a display at 229 Abbotsford Rd on July 9, 2022, noting all conditions have been met
- Approved amendment number one to the subaward agreement between Linn County and Willis Dady Homeless Services to provide on-site mental health care for individuals experiencing homelessness at Willis Dady Homeless Services
Board of Supervisors Meeting Recap briefly summarizes topics from the Board’s meeting agendas. This recap is provided by County staff as a public service and is not an official record of Board action. The official record of approved minutes from Board of Supervisors meetings are approved at future meetings and are available for viewing after approval.
Board agendas, minutes, and meeting videos are available on the Agendas and Minutes webpage
Subscribe to receive agenda notifications