June 24-July 1, 2022
The Week in Review is a weekly digital newsletter from Linn County, Iowa.
Roundabout at County Home Road and Alburnett Road to Close July 7
The roundabout at the intersection of County Home Road and Alburnett Road is scheduled to close to all traffic on Thursday, July 7 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. for a curb reconstruction project. The new curbs will be mountable to accommodate large agriculture equipment driving through the roundabout. The project is expected to take one day. If additional time is needed to complete the project, the intersection will close again on Friday, July 8 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. A detour will not be posted for this project, but electronic sign boards noting the closure will be in place starting July 1.
Reduced Fees in Treasurer’s Office Begin July 1
Starting July 1, the Linn County Treasurer’s Office is reducing customer processing fees for credit and debit card payments thanks to a new three-year contract with its service provider. The fee reductions are as follows:
- Credit card fees are dropping from 2.35% to 2.20% (the $0.30 per transaction admin fee remains in effect)
- Debit card fees are dropping from $4.25 to $3.55 (this includes a $0.30 per transaction admin fee that remains in effect)
Online e-check fees are still $0.30. Visit IowaTaxandTags.org for online registration renewal. Visit the Treasurer’s Office website to check the current in-person wait time at the Treasurer’s Office.
Most County Offices Closed for July 4th Holiday
Most Linn County governmental offices will be closed Monday, July 4, for the Independence Day holiday. Regular business hours resume on Tuesday, July 5. See which services will still be available on July 4. Have a safe and happy Fourth of July!
Reminder: Limited Use of Consumer Fireworks Allowed in Unincorporated Linn County
As the Fourth of July holiday approaches, Linn County reminds residents that the use of consumer fireworks in unincorporated Linn County is allowed on July 4 between the hours of 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Fireworks may only be used with property owner permission. The sale of consumer fireworks is regulated by the State of Iowa. Each city in Linn County has its own rules governing the use of consumer fireworks within its city limits. Please celebrate the Fourth of July safely and responsibly and respect your neighbors, families with young children and pets, veterans with stress disorders, and others sensitive to loud noises by not discharging fireworks illegally.
Board of Supervisors Meeting Recap
The following is a recap from the Linn County Board of Supervisors meetings the week of June 24-July 1, 2022. The Board of Supervisors:
- Met with and received updates from the following departments: Community Services, Conservation, Information Technology, Planning & Development, Public Health and Soil Conservation
- Discussed and approved a vacancy form requesting an Associate Combination Inspector for the Planning and Development Department
- Held a public hearing on the fiscal year 2022 proposed budget amendment
- Approved the fiscal year proposed 2022 budget amendment and adopt amended appropriations resolution
- Approved a resolution for a notice of public hearing on the proposed plans, specifications, form of contract, and estimated total cost for the Priority #4 Linn County Facilities Derecho Repairs Project, and for the taking of bids on said project
- Authorized Chair to sign, retroactive to June 22, 2022, a letter of support of the Destination Iowa grant application from Smithfield Tennis & Pickleball Center
- Approved a resolution for a residential parcel split for Jones Third Addition
- Approved a resolution appointing Nichole Lyn Nagin as a special prosecutor in the Linn County Attorney office under the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Grant
- Approved a resolution authorizing the transfer of $50,000 from the Board of Supervisors appropriations to the Medical Examiner appropriations
- Approved a resolution for the appropriation of fiscal year 2023 budget
- Authorized Chair to sign American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) subaward agreements as follows:
- Between Linn County and the City of Palo for Investigative Study for Water Source in the amount of $35,000
- Between Linn County and the City of Mount Vernon for the 2022 Sanitary Sewer Rehabilitation Project in the amount of $1,000,000
- Authorized Chair to sign a contract for Employer of Record and Administrative Services between Linn County Early Childhood Iowa (ECI) Board and Linn County effective July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. ECI to pay actual expenses not to exceed $123,042
- Authorized Chair to sign a Fiscal Agent Agreement between Linn County Early Childhood Iowa Board (ECI) and Linn County Board of Supervisors on behalf of Linn County Community Services effective July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023
- Authorized Chair to sign a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Cross-Designated Employment Agreement pursuant to the Midwest High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (HIDTA) Program between Linn County, Linn County Attorney, the U.S. Attorney’s Office and Nicole L Nagin
- Authorized Chair to sign a renew and amend contract between Linn County Early Childhood Iowa Board (ECI) and Linn County Board of Supervisors on behalf of the Family Transformation Services for the Nurturing Parent Program (NPP) to provide short term home visitation family support services effective July 1, 2022 through July 30, 2023 not to exceed $112,422
- Authorized Chair to sign a renew and amend contract between Linn County Early Childhood Iowa Board (ECI) and Linn County Board of Supervisors on behalf of the Family Transformation Services for the Nurturing Parent Program (NPP) to provide long term home visitation family support services effective July 1, 2022 through July 30, 2023 not to exceed $85,641
- Authorized Chair to sign a renew and amend contract between Linn County Early Childhood Iowa Board (ECI) and Linn County Board of Supervisors on behalf of the Linn County Community Services Child Development Center for Early Care and Education Supportive Services effective July 1, 2022 through July 30, 2023 not to exceed $63,966
- Approved liquor license for KC 5677, LLC (Columbus Club), 810 Vernon Valley Dr., noting all conditions have been met
- Approved application for display fireworks permit for F.B. & Co., 4185 Whittier Rd., to conduct a display on July 9, 2022 (July 10, 2022 rain date)
- Provided Board member reports of their activities, meetings, and project updates
Board of Supervisors Meeting Recap briefly summarizes topics from the Board’s meeting agendas. This recap is provided by County staff as a public service and is not an official record of Board action. The official record of approved minutes from Board of Supervisors meetings are approved at future meetings and are available for viewing after approval.
Board agendas, minutes, and meeting videos are available on the Agendas and Minutes webpage
Subscribe to receive agenda notifications