I just moved to Linn County, what should I do?

If you moved to Linn County from another county in Iowa, you can get an updated registration to reflect your current address at our office, located at 935 2nd St SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404. You will keep the same plates & title, but you will now renew your vehicles with us. Your plates are valid throughout the state but if you would like Linn County plates, you must surrender your old plates and pay an additional $5 fee. If you are leasing a vehicle, please contact our office at 319-892-5500 for more information. 

If you moved to Linn County from another state, you will need to bring in your driver’s license, social security number & out of state title so that we can issue an Iowa title. (If a lienholder has your title, you can bring in your out of state registration instead of your title.) Iowa law requires that you register your motor vehicle within 30 days of bringing the vehicle into Iowa. Iowa registration is required even though your plates may still be valid in another state. We will also need an application for title and/or registration signed by all owners on the title and/or registration. You can find the application at this link:

Application for Title and/or Registration

Show All Answers

1. How do I renew my driver's license?
2. How do I get a replacement title?
3. How do I order Specialty Plates?
4. How do I renew my plates?
5. How do I transfer a title?
6. I just moved to Linn County, what should I do?
7. I just sold my vehicle, what do I do with my plates?
8. What do I do when an owner on the title is deceased?
9. What if I want the new plate design?
10. Who should I make a check or money order payable to?
11. How do I put a vehicle in storage?
12. How do I obtain license plates/registration due to Impound?
13. How do I pay non-sufficient funds/revoke?