Most utility scale solar projects last for 25-30 years, which is the average lifespan of a solar panel. At the end of a utility scale solar project in Linn County, the applicant will required to follow their approved decommissioning plan. All decommissioning plans must include details on:
- Recycling solar components.
- Restoring the surface grade a soil profile of the site to pre-construction condition.
- Removal of all structures including graveled areas and access roads.
- Re-vegetation of restored soil areas with crops, native seed mixes, native tree species, and plant species suitable to the area.
- A method for ensuring funds will be available for decommissioning activities.
The decommissioning plan will take effect at the end of the project or following a continuous one-year period with no electricity generation. The project owner will have one year to complete all decommissioning activities.