How do I put a vehicle in storage?

The owner of a vehicle may, before the vehicle registration becomes delinquent in any year, turn in the registration plates for a vehicle to the County Treasurer of the county where the vehicle is registered. A vehicle eligible for semiannual installments may not be stored until the second semiannual installment is paid. There is no refund of registration fees when placing a vehicle in storage. You may re-register your vehicle at any time in the future with the payment of the full current annual registration fee due at that time. However, if a vehicle was placed in storage any month prior to the expiration of the registration, replacement plates must be issued and replacement plate fee paid.

Military Storage in Time of War

If the vehicle is registered for the current year and the owner has entered the military service of the United States in time of war and the vehicle has been placed in storage, a refund may be applied for on the unexpired months of the registration year by making a verbal statement. Registration plates must be turned in. Upon the owner's return to the State of Iowa, the vehicle will be registered for the remaining months of the registration year.

Show All Answers

1. How do I renew my driver's license?
2. How do I get a replacement title?
3. How do I order Specialty Plates?
4. How do I renew my plates?
5. How do I transfer a title?
6. I just moved to Linn County, what should I do?
7. I just sold my vehicle, what do I do with my plates?
8. What do I do when an owner on the title is deceased?
9. What if I want the new plate design?
10. Who should I make a check or money order payable to?
11. How do I put a vehicle in storage?
12. How do I obtain license plates/registration due to Impound?
13. How do I pay non-sufficient funds/revoke?