What permits are required to build a house in Linn County?

Separate zoning, building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits are required. Application for a building permit includes the submittal of two sets of construction drawings. In order to determine a valuation and permit fee, please include the area in square feet for: each floor, finished basement, unfinished basement, garage, decks and porches. Plans are thoroughly reviewed by an inspector for code compliance before issuance of the building permit. electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits must be obtained and work performed by contractors licensed in the respective trade.  For further information view our Single Family Dwelling Handout. Before the above permits can be issued, the Planning & Zoning Division must verify that all zoning requirements are met and must also approve a site plan. You will need to provide staff with the locations of the well, septic drainage field and existing structures. You will also need to provide the location of the proposed improvement showing dimensions from property lines and from existing structures. Contact the Linn County Planning and Development Department for information on required submittals for constructing a new house or garage at 319-892-5130. Contact the Public Health Department at 319-892-6000 for information on well and septic system permits and the Linn County Engineer at 319-892-6400 for information on a driveway entrance permits and addressing permits.

Show All Answers

1. What permits are required to build a house in Linn County?
2. What is the "farm exemption" and what qualifies for the exemption?
3. Is there a deadline for submitting my application for next month's agenda?
4. Where do I obtain agendas for Linn County zoning meetings?
5. How do I find out what the current zoning is for a certain property in Linn County?
6. Can I operate a business from my home in Linn County?
7. What are the required lot sizes and setbacks?
8. What is the status of my Linn County zoning case?
9. My property is subject to deed restrictions (covenants). What are they and does Linn County enforce them?
10. What do I need to do to divide my property in rural Linn County?
11. Can I separate the original farmhouse from the farm?
12. How can I find out if my property has a mapped FEMA floodplain on it?
13. How do I get an elevation certificate for my house or proof that my house is not located in a floodplain?