Can I separate the original farmhouse from the farm?

Linn County allows two different types of parcel splits to separate a house from a parent parcel.  There are several factors in determining which type of split a parcel would qualify for, including what year the house was originally constructed. These two processes are called Residential Parcel Splits and Land Preservation Parcel Splits. Requirements for both types of subdivisions can be found in Article IV of the Linn County Unified Development Code. For further information, please email the Planning and Development Staff or call 319-892-5130.

Show All Answers

1. What permits are required to build a house in Linn County?
2. What is the "farm exemption" and what qualifies for the exemption?
3. Is there a deadline for submitting my application for next month's agenda?
4. Where do I obtain agendas for Linn County zoning meetings?
5. How do I find out what the current zoning is for a certain property in Linn County?
6. Can I operate a business from my home in Linn County?
7. What are the required lot sizes and setbacks?
8. What is the status of my Linn County zoning case?
9. My property is subject to deed restrictions (covenants). What are they and does Linn County enforce them?
10. What do I need to do to divide my property in rural Linn County?
11. Can I separate the original farmhouse from the farm?
12. How can I find out if my property has a mapped FEMA floodplain on it?
13. How do I get an elevation certificate for my house or proof that my house is not located in a floodplain?