What is a Military Exemption and how do I apply?
  • Veterans who served in active duty and who were honorably discharged are eligible to receive a military exemption on their property taxes.
  • If you served in the military and were on active duty for 18 months you are eligible for a military exemption.
  • Pursuant to Iowa law, the reduction in taxable value is determined by the dates and amount of time the veteran served in active duty.
  • The reduction of taxable value for World War I veterans is $2,778 and $1,852 for all other periods of service.
  • Former and current members of the Iowa National Guard and reserve forces need not have performed active duty if they served at least 20 years.
  • You can apply for this in person in the Assessor’s Office, or click here to request the Military Exemption Application.
  • Your DD214 must be recorded in Linn County for us to apply this exemption
  • Iowa Code Chapter 426A

Show All Answers

1. What is a Homestead Credit and how do I apply?
2. What is a Military Exemption and how do I apply?
3. I have applied for the Homestead Credit and/or Military Exemption, but I don't see them on my property tax bill
4. What other Credits and Exemption may I be eligible for?
5. My assessment has not changed, why have my property taxes increased?
6. What does my property tax pay for?
7. How does the Assessor determine the value of my property?
8. What is classification?
9. How does the Assessor determine Market Value?
10. How often is my property reassessed?
11. What do I do if I disagree with the assessed value of my property?
12. How do I appeal my assessment?
13. How is the Assessor appointed?